North Carolina will celebrate Falls Prevention Awareness Week September 21-25, 2020!
Click HERE to see a map and listing of events for Falls Prevention Awareness Week held across North Carolina in 2020.
NC Falls Prevention Awareness Week (FPAW) 2020
2020 FPAW Placemat Contest
We are excited to share the winners of the Placemat Contest for FPAW 2020.
Thank you to all participants and judges.
Please spread the word and share! Click on the images or links below to see BOTH SIDES. Download, add your own logo, print and distribute!
Submitter: Sarah Locklear
Organization: Hamlet Senior Center, Hamlet
Thanks to NCOA, the CDC Stay Independent Risk Assessment is now online!
Check your fall risk online: Falls Free Check-up
You will receive your results via email to share with family members, health care providers, pharmacists, etc.! The results also include specific steps that you can take to prevent falls.
National Council on Aging (NCOA) Falls Prevention Awareness Week 2020 RESOURCES
NCOA Falls Toolkit
APTA NC Fall Prevention Special Interest Group 3rd Annual Falls Prevention Challenge 2020
Click HERE for guidelines. Deadline: Friday, October 16, 2020 5:00 pm
NC Falls Prevention Awareness Week 2019
- Governor’s Proclamation for 2019 Falls Prevention Awareness Week
Resources from the National Council on Aging (NCOA) :
- 2019 FPAD Webinar
- Social Media Images
- Photo Contest – Deadline October 31st!
- Media Toolkit
- Complete list of resources for 2019
Resources from NC State and Local Coalitions (see past, yet still relevant, presentations below):
NC Falls Prevention Awareness Week 2018
Presentation/Webinar by Ellen Schneider to the NC Falls Prevention Coalition on NCOA Falls Prevention Awareness Day and Week resources available for North Carolina.
Summary of Falls Prevention Awareness Week activities in 2018 across the state of North Carolina.
This summary was compiled by the National Council on Aging based on survey responses and reported activities from coalition members.
NC Falls Prevention Awareness Week 2016
The theme for 2016 was Ready, Steady, Balance: Prevent Falls in 2016.
- Preventing Falls – One Step at a Time: informational flyer (Thanks to Healthy Choices for Maine); click here for a customizable version
- Social Media Messages: Tweets and Facebook posts ready to use!
- Day-by-Day Falls Prevention One Pager (Customizable)
- Emergency Room Doctor’s Advice on Fall Prevention: flyer with information from Dr. Robert Anderson, a fall specialist
- Governor’s Proclamation for 2016 NC Falls Prevention Awareness Week
- Placemat with falls prevention tips (Thanks to the Montana Falls Prevention Coalition!)
- Placemat (2009) 5 Things You Can Do To Prevent A Fall
Resources from the National Council on Aging
Learn from and share with Local NC Falls Prevention Coalitions
- Ellen Schneider, Statewide Coalition: Updates from the state and local levels
- Leigha Shepler, Guilford County: Coalition successes
- Rebecca Chaplin, Western NC : Building successful coalitions
- Triangle Falls Coalition: Facts About Falling Community Presentation