North Carolina will celebrate
Falls Prevention Awareness Week (FPAW) September 18-24, 2022!
More details coming soon!
Click HERE to post your events and/or to see a map and listing of FPAW events to be held across North Carolina in 2022.
Congratulations to the 2021 Falls Prevention Awareness Week Photo Contest Winners. Thank you to all who submitted pictures and thank you to the judges for helping.
#1 Title: Friendship, Wilkesboro (Sept 17), Event: Kick-off Tai Chi Event in celebration of Fall Prevention Awareness Week Submitted by Amber Chapman/High Country Area Agency on Aging
#2 Title: Habitat Families – Falls Prevention Class- Exercise is key! Charlotte (Sept 24), Event: Falls Prevention Class Submitted by Janice Williams/Carolinas Center for Injury Prevention
#3 Title: Training Client Chapel Hill (Sept. 23), Event: Trainer and Resident in Fitness Center – Falls Prevention Awareness Week Submitted by Michelle Marino/Carolina Meadows
Here are the 2021 FPAW resources from the National Council on Aging:
- Falls Prevention Awareness Week Toolkit
- Explore redesigned handouts and other materials that will help raise awareness around falls prevention this September and year-round. New resources are currently in development and will be posted in the toolkit soon.
- Fire & Falls Webinar Series: Engaging Firefighters and EMS for Falls Prevention
- Hosted by the National Council on Aging and the Administration for Community Living, this webinar series will feature organizations who have successfully partnered with their local EMS and fire department to address falls prevention. September 1, 8, 15, and 22 @ 1:00p ET.
Thanks to NCOA, the CDC Stay Independent Risk Assessment is now online!
Click HERE for Spanish version: Mantenga su independencia.
Check your fall risk online: Falls Free Check-up
You will receive your results via email to share with family members, health care providers, pharmacists, etc.! The results also include specific steps that you can take to prevent falls.
NC Falls Prevention Awareness Week (FPAW) 2021
Learn from and share with Regional NC Falls Prevention Coalitions
- Ellen Schneider, Statewide Coalition: Updates from the state and local levels
- Leigha Shepler, Guilford County: Coalition successes
- Rebecca Chaplin, Western NC : Building successful coalitions
- Triangle Falls Coalition: Facts About Falling Community Presentation