Healthy Aging NC
An Initiative of the NC Center for Health & Wellness at UNC Asheville
Healthy Aging NC serves as a resource center for evidence-based health promotion and disease prevention programs. Learn more about our chronic disease management and falls prevention programs, as well as additional resources at the Healthy Aging NC website.
Evidence-Based Falls Prevention Programs in NC
- A Matter of Balance
- Otago Exercise Program
- Tai Chi for Arthritis and Fall Prevention
- YMCA: Moving for Better Balance
- YMCA: Enhance Fitness
- National Council on Aging – Evidence-Based Falls Prevention Programs* Overview
*Not all of these programs are offered in NC.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Initiatives
- CDC STEADI (Stopping Elderly Accidents, Deaths & Injuries) Toolkit for Healthcare Providers
- CDC STEADI Coordinated Care Plan to Prevent Older Adult Falls
- CDC STEADI-Rx (Resources to help pharmacists engage patients and providers to improve fall-related health issues; offers tools for pharmacists on how to screen, assess, and coordinate care to reduce older adult fall risk.)
- CDC Medication Fact Sheet – Are your medicines increasing your risk for falls?
- CDC STEADI Check for Safety Brochure – A Home Fall Prevention Checklist for Older Adults
National Council on Aging
A respected national leader and trusted partner to help people aged 60+ meet the challenges of aging. The National Council on Aging (NCOA) will give you tips and resources on fall prevention, balance programs and help you learn about Falls Prevention Awareness Day.
Injury Free NC
An initiative of the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill and the NC Division of Public Health’s Injury and Violence Prevention Branch to keep North Carolinians safe and free from injury and violence so that they can live to their full potential. Find resources and more information at the Injury Free NC website
Fall Prevention Center of Excellence
An initiative of the USC Leonard Davis School of Gerontology to ensure the independence, safety, and well-being of older persons through fall prevention. Find resources for individuals, families, service providers, researchers and educators at stopfalls.org
Awareness Week Webinar Slides
- Ellen Schneider, Statewide Coalition: Updates from the state and local levels
- Leigha Shepler, Guilford County: Coalition successes
- Rebecca Chaplin, Western NC: Building successful coalitions
- Facts About Falling Community Presentation (Triangle Falls Coalition)
- National, State, and Local Falls Prevention Policies
- Policy Change for Falls Prevention: Making it Happen
- Preventing Falls Through Policy
- Older Adult Falls Prevention Overview
- Fall Risk Factors: Why do Older Adults Fall?
- Preventing Falls: What Works
- Building Community Capacity for Falls Prevention
- Spreading the Word: Community Awareness and Education
- Laying the Groundwork: Building Effective Coalitions and Partnerships