COVID UPDATE on Evidence-Based Falls Prevention Programs in NC. Please contact your local Area Agency on Aging, Senior Center or YMCA about classes that are offered online during this time of social distancing.
FALL Prevention Tips are helpful ALL of the time. As older adults and caregivers spend more time at home during covid19, here are some additional virtual resources shared by partners.
- My Mobility Plan – How to Stay Mobile and Independent WEBINAR or NOTES with links. (added 5.18.20)
- Staying Safe While Social Distancing: Safety Tips for Seniors (podcast 4.2.20)
- Falls Prevention at Home (added 4.23.20)
- A Falls Prevention Recovery and Success Story with Some Safety Tips: (added 5.5.20) Learn how to stay active and safe while at home during covid19.
- YMCA of Western NC: Healthy Aging Tip of the Day (short video clips on different topics)
- For more educational presentations, visit https://ncfallsprevention.org/presentations/
Healthy Aging NC
An Initiative of the NC Center for Health & Wellness at UNC Asheville
Healthy Aging NC serves as a resource center for evidence-based health promotion and disease prevention programs. Learn more about our chronic disease management and falls prevention programs, as well as additional resources at the Healthy Aging NC website.
Evidence-Based Falls Prevention Programs in NC
COVID UPDATE on Evidence-Based Falls Prevention Programs in NC. Please contact your local Area Agency on Aging, Senior Center or YMCA about classes that are offered online during this time of social distancing. Thank you!
- A Matter of Balance
- Otago Exercise Program
- Tai Chi for Arthritis and Fall Prevention
- YMCA: Moving for Better Balance
- YMCA: Enhance Fitness
- National Council on Aging – Evidence-Based Falls Prevention Programs* Overview
*Not all of these programs are offered in NC.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Initiatives
- CDC STEADI (Stopping Elderly Accidents, Deaths & Injuries) Toolkit for Healthcare Providers
- CDC STEADI Coordinated Care Plan to Prevent Older Adult Falls
- CDC STEADI-Rx (Resources to help pharmacists engage patients and providers to improve fall-related health issues; offers tools for pharmacists on how to screen, assess, and coordinate care to reduce older adult fall risk.)
- CDC Medication Fact Sheet – Are your medicines increasing your risk for falls?
- CDC STEADI Check for Safety Brochure – A Home Fall Prevention Checklist for Older Adults
- CDC My Mobility Plan – A mobility planning tool to help you stay independent, safe at home, mobile in your community.
National Council on Aging
A respected national leader and trusted partner to help people aged 60+ meet the challenges of aging. The National Council on Aging (NCOA) will give you tips and resources on fall prevention, balance programs and help you learn about Falls Prevention Awareness Day.
Injury Free NC
An initiative of the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill and the NC Division of Public Health’s Injury and Violence Prevention Branch to keep North Carolinians safe and free from injury and violence so that they can live to their full potential. Find resources and more information at the Injury Free NC website
Fall Prevention Center of Excellence
An initiative of the USC Leonard Davis School of Gerontology to ensure the independence, safety, and well-being of older persons through fall prevention. Find resources for individuals, families, service providers, researchers and educators at stopfalls.org
Find educational presentations from our community partners on preventing falls, building coalitions, and supporting community falls prevention efforts at https://ncfallsprevention.org/presentations/