Prevent falls through comprehensive and coordinated clinical and community integration
Objectives for Goal #2
2A: By the end of 2024, utilize a shared risk and protective factor framework to prevent falls and fall-related injuries.
- 2A1: By the end of 2021, engage subject matter experts (SME) to identify shared risk and protective factors that are common across issues related to falls to create the framework.
- 2A2: By the end of 2022, assess risk and protective factors to determine and prioritize shared risk and/or protective factors in order to reduce falls and related issues.
- 2A3: By the end of 2023, identify and align at least 1-2 strategies with strategies used by providers who focus on other related issues based on prioritized shared risk and/or protective factors (see 2A2).
- 2A4: By the end of 2024, develop materials based on SRPFs to engage new partners identified in 1E4 in falls prevention work who traditionally have not included falls prevention in their work.
2B: By the end of 2025, ensure that consistent and quality falls prevention information and resources are available for providers across the continuum of care.
- 2B1: By the end of 2021, identify and inventory existing provider-centered and patient-centered best practices toolkits.
- 2B2: By the end of 2022, review for consistent messaging and add context to toolkits identified in 2B1.
- 2B3: By the end of 2023, add any additional context and/or content to existing toolkits for specific population needs and settings identified in 1E3 &3A2.
- 2B4: By the end of 2023, hold focus groups with providers across the state through regional coalitions for input on education materials identified in 2B1 and 2B3.
- 2B4.1 Identify regional coalitions who can lead focus groups
- 2B4.2 Identify providers across the continuum of care who can participate
- 2B4.3 Create discussion questions for focus groups
- 2B4.4 Transcribe and analyze qualitative data.
- 2B4.5 Identify new provider-centered toolkits needed based on focus group feedback.
- 2B5: By the end of 2024, incorporate SRPF language and partners into new toolkits, and add additional context to existing toolkits.
- 2B6: By the end of 2025, develop the new toolkits needed identified in 2B4-2B5 to contribute to provider and patient awareness and education.
2C: By the end of 2025, increase access to and awareness of falls prevention materials for health care providers across the continuum of care.
- 2C1: By the end of 2022, identify and inventory existing platforms and information access points for health care providers.
- 2C2: By the end of 2023, identify fall prevention information and educational materials (2B) for health care providers and how to access them.
- 2C3: By the end of 2025, educate providers across the COC about how to access information and educational materials.
2D: By the end of 2025, promote falls prevention through outreach to regional, state, and/or national professional organizations as an integral part of core competency training and/or certification.
- 2D1: By the end of 2021, and ongoing thereafter, conduct outreach to 3-5 state professional organizations.
- 2D2: By the end of 2021, and ongoing thereafter, invite 3-5 professional organizations to at least one NCFPC meeting per year on an on-going basis to educate about the links between falls risk and other health conditions.
- 2D3: By the end of 2023, identify avenues for incorporating falls prevention into core competency training (e.g. workforce development, state professional orgs.)
- 2D4: By the end of 2025, use the SRPF framework to promote the integration of falls prevention into core competency training(s) (2D3).
- 2D4.1 Create a sub-group to work on the falls prevention curriculum
- 2D4.2 Identify existing curricula to develop a falls prevention curriculum/modules.
- 2D4.3 Integrate SRPF into the curriculum.
2E. By the end of 2025, promote effective referral pathways to evidence-based falls prevention programs across the entire continuum of care.
- 2E1: By the end of 2022, identify current technologies, processes, and resources that assist in referrals to EBFPPs and that bridge gaps along the continuum of care (Transportation and other social determinants of health, PeerPlace, HANC, NC211, NCCARE360).
- 2E2: By the end of 2021, develop and initiate bi-annual education of NC211 call center staff on falls and referring to EBFPP.
- 2E3: By the end of 2022, provide consistent search terms (taxonomy) for EBFPP to CBO/direct service providers collaborate and provide education to providers about referral pathways/platforms.
- 2E4: By the end of 2025, house and link local and regional resource directories on TBD referral platform (NCFPC, NC211, NCCARE360, etc.)
- 2E5: By the end of 2025, identify and promote successful state models of community paramedicine through at least one venue and promote expansion of the model as one means of bridging the gap.